Photo: Coffee at Pottery Tsuboya, Naha, Okinawa, 2017
- Art/ Apps
- Business/ Books
- Current Affairs/ Charities
- Disruptive Tech/ Dream Destinations
- Family/ Fun
- Good food – Cooking/ Restaurant
- Here and Now/ Host/ Hobbies/ Holidays
- Internet of Things
- How are you related to the host? Are you related from the bride’s side or groom’s side? (At a wedding)
- Does your family have any “secret” or famous recipes?
- What’s your favorite restaurant that others don’t know about?
- How’s the family?
- What do you usually do on weekends?
- I am starting a book club, any good books you recommend?
- Any books you recommend to get into your field?
- Do you prefer city vacations or relaxing on the beach?
I am/ My (niece/son) is interested to get into this [profession]. Do you have any advice for me/ I should pass on?”
“ How did you decide to get into [X field]?”
“I read about +++++ [Y detail about job] in +++++. Has that held true in your experience?”
“Which skill do you use the most in your work? Was that what you expected?”
“What’s the stereotype of a [job title]? Does it hold up?”
“Is there anything you didn’t anticipate about this role starting out? Do you like or dislike that?”
“What’s the best career advice you’ve ever received? How about the worst?”
More tips on small talk or ice breakers for your next event: