Research from Centre for Creative Leadership
Sometimes we focus a lot on working behind the scenes and achieving, doing. Interestingly, the Centre for Creative Leadership lists relationships as major make or break.
By comparing successful managers to those who derail, CCL identified 5 specific factors that increase a leader’s odds for derailment:
⚓problems with interpersonal relationships; cold, aloof and arrogant
⚓difficulty building and leading a team; cant manage subordinates
⚓difficulty changing or adapting during a transition (conflict with upper management or unable to adapt to boss with a different style)
⚓inability to think strategically, too narrow of a functional orientation.
⚓failure to meet business objectives (eg too ambitious, betrayal of trust, and poor performance)
8 enduring success themes
1. Ambitious with a Desire to succeed
2. Establish strong collaborative relationships
3. Good track record in performance
4. Can motivate and direct subordinates
6. Willing to take risks
7. Able to adapt to the environment
8. Problem solver and entrepreneurial